Valencia Elementary Home and School Club Membership Meeting
Agenda for November 15, 2016
Welcome –– John Simms (1 min)
Call to order and approval of minutes — John Simms (2 min)
Treasurer Report –– Lizzy Anderson (10 min)
- Added additional page to breakdown different fundraisers & financial details for each
- 4th grade funds are low for Sacramento trip
- Caryn Lane suggested a Warriors basketball fundraiser available to us. Email blast with details will go out to HSC email list
- Erin Farrar requested that all check deposits not contain staples
Principal Report –– Caryn Lane (10 min)
- School Plan and GATE plan were submitted to the district
- Anti Bullying plan was adopted from Mar Vista and modified, then submitted
- Staff received Bullying Prevention forms to complete if handling a bullying situation
- Valencia received a trophy from Toyota for top earning elementary school in Drive for Schools. A presentation assembly was held on 11/14.
- KINDNESS is the value of the month for students and staff
- School completed election on November 8th
Purchase of Chromebook Cart — John Simms (10 min)
Approximate costs are $13,000 per cart. We would be buying 35 chromebooks through PVUSD and a storage/charging cart for them. Used in the classroom for lessons, district MAP tests and CAASPP testing. The school need is for two carts.
- Caryn Lanes office submitted request for the above quote through the district
- Jane Kenyon requested permission to explore our options to purchase Chromebooks outside of PVUSD. She has a direct family business who provides the same educational hardware.
- Considerations: would all district privileges be in place for hardware purchases outside of the district? John Simms will inquire with the district
- John Simms makes a motion that we spend $26,000 to purchase two complete Chromebook carts with charging ability.
- Lydia Habr seconds.
- Members approve.
- Jane Kenyon inquired about criteria for Chromebook cart donation. Johns Simms will get information from the district.
- HSC is purchasing a wireless microphone for $100. Funds were approved last school year.
- Lydia Habr presented the possible purchase of a sun/rain awning for the Kindergarten area.
- We need to learn what all parameters are allowed for erecting the awning; installation, liability, etc. Lizzy Anderson will inquire with district personnel.
Other Funding Requests — Caryn Lane (5 min)
- $568.08 to pay Erin Farrar and Deborah Matlow for time the spent developing trainings and model lessons for the Bridges math curriculum.
- Lydia Habr made a motion to approve funds, John Simms seconded the motion
- Members approved
Auction Report – Lydia Habr (5 min)
- March 4, 2017 5:30 – 10:00 at the Seascape Golf Resort on Clubhouse Drive
- Mardi Gras theme
Yearbook Cover Contest – Joanna Dang (5 min)
- Joanna Dang presented all submissions for the yearbook cover contest
- All HSC members who were present voted.
- Deborah Matlow proposed matting / framing runners up as a consolation prize