Valencia Elementary Home and School Club Membership Meeting
Meeting Minutes for March 21, 2017.
Aptos Junior High School, Room 1
Welcome –– John Simms (1 min)
- Thank you to people working on Spring Auction
- Thank you to Caryn Lane for robo call that invited more parents to attend HSC and Site Council meetings
Call to order and approval of minutes — John Simms (2 min)
Treasurer Report –– Lizzy Anderson (10 min)
- $20,253 raised at fundraiser PRIOR to paying outstanding invoices of approximately $7,000
- So overall, approximately $10,000 raised
- Deposits made in February, mostly for Sacramento
- Checks have been cut for Chromebooks for a total $24,000+
- Still short on Chromebooks in order to prepare for SBAC and district online assessments.
- Encouraging online yearbook orders to reduce cash money transfers given unique, multiple site locations
Election Nomination Committee –– John Simms (10 min)
Elections are next month for the following positions: President, Vice President, Recording Secretary and Treasurer.
- John’s goal is to place all Board positions for the next year before the end of school year.
- HSC email blast going out right after Spring Break to solicit new parent involvement for Board positions
Provide funding for science –– John Simms (5 min)
- Cathy Guiley requesting a class budget to prioritized purchase supplies
- 2017-18 budget will be discussed at the May HSC meeting
Support for reading intervention program –– Caryn Lane (15 minutes)
For the current year, we donated $33,200 and $20,842 has been spent. $12,357 remains to pay instructional assistants for the rest of the school year. I estimate there may be between $0 and $200 unspent from our donation. 2016-2017 program includes one kindergarten support aid and four literary support aids. Those assistants are on campus a total of 35 hours a week.
Cost for 2017-2018 school year: $37,225 to maintain the current program.
2013-2014 $28,934 (program included a larger kinder-support)
- John requesting a detailed breakdown from the district on the $4,000 salary increase for instructional aids
- John will scrutinize the previous year balances to understand the balance in donations account.
- John Simms proposed vote for budget approval of HSC providing $37,225 for 2017-18 school year instructional aids. Budget approved.
- Reevaluating Open House date and format considering the multiple site locations and limitations on facility use / personalization
- Julie Ke-a is planning to make the 2017 Harvest Festival a bigger fundraiser than in previous years. She is researching community businesses to become sponsors following the model used by Mar Vista.
Next HSC meeting is April 18.