Valencia Elementary Home and School Club Membership Meeting
Agenda for October 10, 2017.
Welcome and Introductions –– John Simms (1 min)
Call to order and approval of minutes — John Simms (1 min)
Treasurer Report –– Lizzy Anderson (10 min)
- Biggest recent expenditure was the annual teacher supply checks
- Not much activity right now
- Expecting some expenditures from the Harvest Festival
- Lizzy closed previous 6th grade account and evenly dispersed the remaining $62.03 as $8.86 to each current grade level
Drive For Schools — Darci Pruitt / Lizzy Anderson (5 minutes)
What actions does the board need to take to support Drive for Schools?
- $16,000 right now. There was a big rush at first, only 1 ½ weeks left.
- The deadline for submitting tickets is October 20th
- Include in the reminder in the Friday email and a Wednesday blast
- Darcy requesting spirit wear and Harvest Festival bracelets as giveaways
Harvest Festival –– Julie Kenyon (10 min)
What actions does the board need to take to support the Harvest Festival?
- Hoping classes will decorate their doors in a fall theme for a school wide contest
- Need volunteers to sign up for slots to work. We have about ¼ filled
- Cafeteria activities will most likely be quite popular as they are engaging, Harry Potter themed
- Once Drive for Schools has a final push, Harvest Festival will begin promoting more heavily.
- Another email or newsletter will go out clarifying sign ups for ticket booths and/or activities
- Have not explored presales yet. Caryn Lane suggested an online option with tickets set aside for “will call” at the ticket booth
Funding request — Gabrielle Mata (5 min)
Request to purchase essential oils and diffusers for specific classrooms.
- A parent cohort is concerned about synthetic fragrance in classrooms and presented
- John Simms suggested teachers could use their allotted classroom funds for any desired purchases.
PayPal reader –– John Simms (5 minutes)
The old card readers don’t work well with newer phones. A new card reader is $85.72.
Do we purchase one? Two? None?
- New phones do not all have head jacks and the new devices are universal.
- John Simms made a motion to purchase 2 new card readers. Motion passed.
Principal’s Report –– Caryn Lane (10 min)
- Meet the Masters art program is getting planned by Anna Bevir
- $650 for the purchase of materials
- Caryn Lane is exploring various assemblies with themes ranging from bullying and literacy
- October is a very busy month: Socktober, College Going Culture, Anti Bullying, etc.
- Classroom teacher asked Caryn to present a fund in need to support a family with a student who needs extensive medical treatment. Would home and school club consider supporting the family with grocery funds?
Auction winner parking spot — John Simms (10 min)
We have been offered $500 by another family for the space the Henry family abandoned. Do we accept? If not, what, specifically, would we like to do with the spot?
Non Agenda Items
- Spirit wear update: not many t-shirts left, several sweatshirts
- Amanda presented possible scenarios for dropping selling cost in order to clear inventory and make our money back. Markup, if any, will most likely be minimal.
Upcoming Class Fundraisers –– These events have crossed my email and I want everyone to be in the loop. Address any questions to John.
|5||10/2/2017 – 11/17/2017||Joanna Dang||Warriors tickets|
|1||12/2/2017||Katie Stanton||Holiday boutique at Valencia|
|5||4/19/2017||Open house dinner|
|4||5/4/2018||Amie Johnson/Katie Stanton||Art show and star wars music at Sand Bar in Capitola.|